What a wonderful first full year of our Club. We have come a very long way. I would like to re-cap some achievements of 2017 and goals going into 2018.
- We have now had our 2nd Lobby Poinsettia Display event and continue to work for a sustainable event that can go on forever (and that’s a mighty long timeJ). Our fund drive of November netted $219 towards our $700 goal. Thanks all.
- Our LPD efforts & sponsorship have now spread to 3-other Centers and we have a goal for 2018 to capture all 10 Centers! KSC can lead in this collaborative event…and will.
- Thru hard work we have maintained 9-gardens on Center with only 1-garden requiring “de-servicing” due to a change in curation. We plan to bring that Garden back in full-force when the new HQ building becomes occupied so I would not call that a “loss”.
- KSC Got Site approval for the first ever “KSC No Mow Zone Test site 001” for natural wildflowers along SR-3. I hope thru scientific study and documentation someday there could be a 1 or 2 mile stretch of wildflowers for all to see and enjoy (and educate all including the +1 million tourists on the busses).
- KSCGC has a new logo (to be rolled out in 2018). I think a lot of folks will be shocked how thought-out and awesome this logo is thanks to a collaborative brainstorming & working effort by the Logo Committee.
- We make headway on our Automated Eco-friendly drink straw dispenser and hope it can be beta-deployed in the 1st Quarter of 2018…in our MF Lunchroom. More to come…
- All our KSC Guard Gates continue to have curation of the planters and flowers located in-front of them. This was a major goal of the club and these flowers are for all to enjoy as they enter America’s Finest Multi-user Spaceport
Some of 2018 Goals
- Work to “partner” with the KSC Visitor’s Center on what we do and the value we bring to them in hopes of creating a more formal relationship.
- Work with the new HQ floor lay-out folks to allow an “educational” area near the lunch room where eco-friendly education displays can be rotated in-and-out (to include a working veggie display similar to a station hydroponic growth station).
- Deploy the Eco-Straw dispenser to provide an alternate to plastic straws educate and raise awareness.
- Work with the Center as it develops the “no mow” test site.
- Grow our base of members and provide for planting activities, plant swaps, partnerships with other Center Clubs & ERG’s and provide a conduit for eco-education.
I could go on-and-on about the goals but will leave it at that. Finally, Thanks to all for your encouragement, time and membership in this Club…we never judge and even if you are only a member “at heart” the key is you ARE a member and we are so glad to have you as we shape the future for the next generation.
Best Holiday Wishes to all…and to all…a GREAT day!